Toxic Foods That Can Harm Your Furry Friend
By: Kevin Curnow

 

Be extremely cautious the next time you consider giving table scraps to your dog, because some people foods aren’t just bad for dogs, they can even be toxic!  Here are some examples.

 

  1. Chocolate, Coffee, and Caffeine (or anything made from cacao seeds)Dark chocolate

Cacao seeds contain a substance called methylxantines, and when ingested by pets can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excess thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures, and even death!1 A good rule of thumb is the darker and purer the chocolate, the more methylxantines it has.

 

 

 

  1. Onion-and-garlic-varietiesOnions and Garlic

Onions and garlic in any form can destroy and dog’s red blood cells and lead to anemia.  Symptoms of anemia include weakness, vomiting, little interest in food, dullness, and breathlessness.2

 

 

 

 

cinnamon

  1. Cinnamon

Cinnamon can irritate the inside of a dog’s mouth and can drastically lower their blood sugar, leading to diarrhea, vomiting, increased or decreased heart rate, or even liver disease.  Difficulty breathing, coughing, and choking can occur if inhaled in powder form.3

 

 

 

avocado-sliced-in-half

  1. Avocados

Perisin, a toxin found in the leaves, pits, bark and fruit of the avocado is deadly for man’s best friend.  While they can cause upset stomachs, breathing difficulties, and fluid buildup in the chest, the most dangerous part of an avocado is the pit.  If accidentally swallowed, it can lead to obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract.4

 

 

Salt

  1. Salt

Salt is even more unhealthy for dogs than it is for humans.  An excess of salt can put electrolyte levels at an imbalance, and possibly give your pooch dehydration and diarrhea like some of the other foods on this list.5

 

 

 

 

  1. grapesGrapes and Raisins

Many pet owners are unaware that grapes and raisins are extremely deadly for dogs.  The substance that makes the fruit toxic is unknown, but simply ingesting the it can lead to acute (sudden) kidney failure.  Other symptoms of grape ingestion can include loss of appetite, lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness, vomiting/diarrhea within a few hours, abdominal pain, dehydration, and diminished amount amount of urine or complete cessation.  Treatment is absolutely crucial and immediate tips can be found here: “Grape and Raisin Poisoning in Dogs”.6

 

 

  1. From “People Foods To Avoid Feeding Your Pets” by American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals ASPCA http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets
  2. From “Toxic and Dangerous Foods Your Dog Should Never Eat” by Amy Flowers, DVM WebMD reviewed February 1, 2016 http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/ss/slideshow-foods-your-dog-should-never-eat
  3. From “Human Foods Dogs Can and Can’t Eat” by Staff Writers American Kennel Club originally published December 3, 2015 http://www.akc.org/learn/dog-health/human-foods-dogs-can-and-cant-eat/
  4. From “12 Human Foods You Didn’t Know Could Kill Your Dog” by Peter Pham Foodbeast originally published May 15, 2014 http://www.foodbeast.com/news/12-human-foods-that-could-kill-your-dog/
  5. From “What Foods are Toxic for Dogs” by Sara Logan Wilson CanineJournal updated October 24, 2014 http://www.caninejournal.com/foods-not-to-feed-dog/
  6. From “Can Dogs Eat Grapes?” by Erika Mansourian American Kennel Club originally published July 24, 2015 http://www.akc.org/learn/dog-health/can-dogs-eat-grapes/